Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/announcements/news/bee-keepers-work-to-revive-ohios-honey-bee-populaton/
Bee Smart– Pre- Registration Ends This Week!The organized beekeeper knows…. Build all of the equipment that you will need during the winter season! Buy your equipment, holiday gifts and books at the Nov 1 Conference. Vendors include: BEEpothecary, Betterbee, Bee Culture, Blue Sky Bee Supply, Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, Dadant & Sons, Huron Bee Supply, Mann Lake, Mel Disselkoen, Northern Bee Supply, Pierco, Reid’s Apiary & Bee-tique, Simpson’s Bee Supply, and Wicwas Press….JUST ADDED….Kelley Beekeeping!
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/homepage-announcement/start-your-2015-beekeeping-season-now/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/classifieds/bees/5-frame-deep-nucs-for-sale-athens-ohio/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/announcements/news/feeling-frazzled-get-your-education-on-at-the-osba-summer-conference/
The United States has seen a shrinking bee population for years. And their keepers have a lot of theories as to why.
Read more here: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2014/06/03/ohio-honey-bee-industry-struggles-after-long-winter/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/announcements/news/ohio-honey-bee-industry-struggles-after-long-winter/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/announcements/news/honey-ready/
- ⅔ c. honey
- 1 c. butter
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- 2½ c. flour
- ¼ t. salt
- ½ t. baking powder
- 2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (or dark chocolate) melted
- Cream honey with butter and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder. Add to creamed honey mix.
- After it is incorporated, remove about ⅓ of the dough into another bowl. and stir in the melted chocolate.
- Line an 8 inch sqare with waxed paper. Press the vanilla mixture into the pan. Line an 8×4 bread pan with waxed paper. Press chocolate mixture into it.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Lift the vanilla dough out of the pan, using the waxed paper, onto a cutting board.
- Cut it in half.
- Place the chocolate layer on 1 of the vanilla pieces.
- Cover it with the 2nd piece of vanilla dough. Press gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 or more hours.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cut cookies into ⅛ in. thick slices. Then cut them in ½ crosswise.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet, for about 8 minutes (slightly golden).
- Cool on cookie rack.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/recipes/bw-honey-cookie/
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/announcements/news/oda-looking-into-possible-pesticide-kill/
- 2 c. white flour
- 1½ c. whole wheat flour (or use all white flour if you want a lighter colored loaf)
- ½ t. salt
- 1 heaping Tablespoon baking soda
- 1 T oil
- 1½ c. buttermilk or sour milk
- ¼ c. HONEY
- Grease the bottom of a loaf pan
- Mix together flours, salt and baking soda.
- Mix together the oil, buttermilk and honey. Warm slightly in a microwave so they will blend together.
- Add the warmed honey mix to the flour mix.
- Stir until well blended.
- Place dough in loafpan.
- Smooth top.
- Cover top with plastic wrap.
- Let it sit for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake at 375 for approx. 45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and then remove from pan and finish cooling….if you can.
Sorry about the photo….crumbs were the only part left once we sliced it!
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/recipes/bread-of-buttermilk-and-honey/
- ⅓ c. vegetable oil
- ½ c. HONEY
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. mashed bananas
- 1¾ c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 1 t. ginger
- ¼ c. water (or milk or carbonated water)
- Preheat over to 325.
- Grease a 9×5 inch bread pan.
- Mix together flour, spices, baking soda.
- In a bow, beat together oil and honey.
- Add eggs.
- Mix in bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with water.
- Pour into bread pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/2014/recipes/comforting-honey-banana-bread/