The Ohio State Beekeepers Association will occasionally have the need to hire independent contractors or will have a request for bids on goods and services. These will be listed below if there are any opportunities available at this time.
Unless stated otherwise, all jobs are for independent contractors and will be issued a 1099. Selected applicants are required to sign a contract and submit a W9 as a condition of being awarded the position.
The Ohio State Beekeepers Association does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
OSBA seeks a Newsletter Editor who will be responsible for timely publishing the OSBA Quarterly newsletter. The job will include all tasks required to publish the newsletter, which is not limited to:
- Assembling the newsletter in a print ready format.
- Coordinating the printing and mailing of the newsletter with OSBA’s chosen printer.
- Coordinating publishing the newsletter online and via OSBA’s email list.
- Soliciting advertisers to help support publication costs: including billing and follow-up
- Soliciting articles for the newsletter.
- Soliciting the OSBA Board for material on OSBA and local associations.
- Writing articles for the newsletter.
Expected skills are:
- Experience using desktop publishing software including Microsoft Office (Publisher, Word, Excel) and Acrobat.
- Ability to communicate well and use email.
- Ability to complete work within the set deadlines.
- Ability to write well and proofread.
The Newsletter Editor will work under the Newsletter Committee which will provide guidance including deadlines, input on articles, feedback, proofreading and approval of the newsletter before publication. This position is a significant commitment with an estimated yearly commitment of up to 500 hours. The selected candidate will be a independent contractor and will be issued a 1099. Pay shall be $1250 per issue which will be paid quarterly after each newsletter is published. Board members are not eligible to apply. OSBA reserves the right not to choose any applicant if none has suitable experience.
Please review recent newsletters at http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/resources/osba-newsletters/ for an idea of the newsletter size, scope and expected quality.
To apply, please send your resume along with samples or links to previous applicable work to . Deadline is November 30th. The OSBA board will choose their candidate by December 15th and work on the 1st quarter 2020 newsletter will begin immediately afterwards.
Traveling Speaker – 2020
OSBA is currently accepting applications for Traveling Speakers. A talk on “STEPS TO SUCCESSFUL OVERWINTERING OF HONEY BEE COLONIES IN OHIO” is being developed for the 2020 Traveling Speaker Program. This talk will be added to the existing talks to help educate beekeepers across the state.
We are looking for individuals that enjoy educating beekeepers at club meetings. We need several people to be traveling speakers to make this program a success.
Traveling Speaker requirements:
- Working knowledge of Power Point software, set-up, application, and presentation
- Reliable transportation
- A current driver’s license
- Ability to drive at night
- Current car insurance
- A laptop computer with accessible ports to connect a projector
- A laptop computer with a current version of Power Point software program
- Availability to attend a training session of all Traveling Speakers
- Ability to personally transport presentation materials, lift up to 50 pounds, stand for at least one hour
- Willingness to complete a W-9 as an independent contractor
Contact for application and additional information.
Applications must be submitted by November 15, 2019.