The Ohio State Beekeepers Association renews the 4-H Partnership Program for 2017!
For 2017, the OSBA will selectively sponsor five 4-H members across Ohio by providing the basic woodenware and toolkits to establish 2 complete hives.
By partnering OSBA, Extension 4-H staff, and local beekeeping organizations with the 4-H members undertaking the beekeeping project, the program will support and encourage young beekeepers by providing experienced practical support and reducing the expenses required to get started in beekeeping. Ideally, active participation of key players, including the student, his/her guardian, 4H advisor, local association and a mentor will significantly increase the likelihood of success of the 4-H beekeeper through experiential learning. Local beekeeping associations who participate gain visibility to a new and vital audience and increase positive community involvement of the “next generation” of beekeepers.
While the document below explains the program guidelines in detail, here is a quick overview:
- Youth must be between the ages of 12 and 18 by January 1st of the scholarship year (2017), be a member of 4-H, and enrolled in public, private or home school.
- Applicant must complete and return the application by November 21st, 2016.
- The selection committee will carefully consider each candidate and select finalists.
- The OSBA 4H Beekeeping Partnership Program Scholars will be announced by January 6th, 2017.
The selected Partnership Program Scholars will receive:
- Woodenware and tools for two hives (see attached document):
- 1 year free membership to the OSBA, with electronic newsletter
- Free attendance to the OSBA Fall Convention (including 2 guests).
- OSBA Beekeeper Training DVD
- OSBA Apiary Diagnostic Kit, if available
Download the 2017 Program Documents and Application for application forms and additional information. If you have any questions, please contact the OSBA 4-H Partnership Program by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 567-703-6722. Completed applications are due by November 21, 2016.